Friday 22 June 2018

Donald Trump tells GOP to "stop wasting time" on immigration 

June 22, 2018
President Donald Trump on Thursday at a working lunch with members of his Cabinet in the White House Roosevelt Room. Credit: Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post for Getty Images 

Trump Says Stop Wasting Time on Immigration: Um, what? 

Melania Travels to the Border: Takes a solo stand on immigration, foiled by jacket ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy Friday: ZOMG, Bo and Sunny Obama wearing raincoats

Hunter is off. His section will return Tuesday.

Kate Bennett

What the White House is Talking About:
President Trump this afternoon gives remarks about immigration. This evening, he and first lady Melania Trump head to the Marine Barracks to attend the U.S. Marine Corps Evening Parade.

What the White House Press Corps is Talking About:
Next steps in solving the immigration crisis. 
Also, it's Friday, this clip comparing North Korean State TV and Fox News is funny. And Fox News continues to blow my mind with mindless comments like this one from today. Maybe I'm just sensitive because yesterday I actually saw some of these kids myself, traveling with the first lady to a shelter facility on the border in Texas. They are children. Full stop. Yours, mine, America's, not America's. They are children. And I, for one, will never forget the fear and confusion I saw in their eyes, trying to be brave and smile in front of a woman they probably know nothing about, missing their parents, their siblings, their friends and everything they have ever known. They are children. Compassion, outside of any political feelings or allegiances, should come first. 
A White House press briefing is not on the schedule for today. The press pool asked the White House this morning why there is none scheduled and if they will add one for later today and were told in response, "we'll see." 

But Trump is Like, 'Back Burner is Fine, Guys':
After a few tweets early this morning about fixing immigration and blaming Democrats for not helping, Trump was finally like, meh, let's just shelve it. 😳
Credit: @realDonaldTrump/Twitter

But Melania is Like, Let's Not:
I get that the whole jacket debacle negated a lot of what Melania did yesterday -- and I totally admit I thought it was a stupid choice and tone-deaf, and quite frankly, not a jacket I would wear to the Safeway, much less to start a trip to see immigrant children at the border. But that's just me. And that's all imma say about the jacket. 

Otherwise, I found her commitment to traveling to Texas pretty noble, and well-intentioned. I know how quickly the trip came together, I know Secret Service (which usually likes at least two weeks to plot out a trip like this one) wasn't happy about it, and I know behind the scenes in the White House it wasn't as easy a feat to secretly accomplish in less than 48 hours as it might have seemed. However, she went. I was with her on the trip to cover it and I will say that she asked a lot more questions than she usually does when we travel places on her list of objectives -- she seemed more determined on this topic yesterday, more confident. And as I mentioned above in my little tangent about compassion, I don't think I'll ever forget the day if solely for the children. We weren't allowed to photograph or record her with them at the New Hope Children's Shelter in McAllen, Texas, due to safety restrictions for minors (not a White House transparency issue), but I can honestly tell you that these kids are indeed heartbreakingly real. They have all been through trauma to get to America -- some had been in the shelter for more than a month, others just a couple of days. But they had a hopefulness behind the fear and sadness. I listened when Melania asked the facility operator about the kids' rooms and how and why they were so neat (which they were, spotless) and the man answered saying they never have to tell any of the kids (55 there in total) to clean their bedrooms or make their beds or pick up because they are so happy and relieved just to have that space, to have a bed, to sit at a desk. I don't know. It moved me. I won't forget any of them and I hope they succeed. That is all. 

In one of the classrooms we visited and where Melania spent time, the group of girls had made her this painted American flag, and each signed their name to it. Melania then signed her name. 
Credit: Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

I Can't: 
But like, why? And why after his wife returns home from seeing the children?
"Phony stories of sadness and grief" ... 
Credit: @realDonaldTrump/Twitter

He's probably referring to the image that we've all seen of the little girl crying, the one on the Time Magazine cover. Turns out she wasn't separated from her parents. Sarah Sanders tweeted about it this morning. 

Jacket, Part 2:
I know there are a ton of memes out there, but I think if you want to do something about your feelings on the jacket, try this -- the money raised goes to a good organization. I also like the clothes on Wildfang -- it's a cool little label with a different mission. Full disclosure: I bought one, not necessarily to protest Melania, but I actually think this is a cool idea. 
Credit: @wearewildfang/Instagram

Happy Weekend!: 
Not only is Betsy Klein a very good reporter and my sometimes-producer on trips like yesterday, she is also a very good spotter of Bo and Sunny, who are often walked by a dog-walker sort of near Betsy's 'hood. Today she got them being weather prepared. This news cycle is exhausting. Enjoy pets: 
Credit: @betsy_klein/Twitter
Sign Up Now

COVER/LINE is where politics meets pop culture. From CNN's Hunter Schwarz and Kate Bennett, this daily newsletter is the must-read lunch date in Washington and beyond.

Sign up to get updates on your favorite CNN Original Series, special CNN news coverage and other newsletters.​

Share
Tweet
Forward

Copyright © 2018 Cable News Network, LP, LLLP. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to CNN newsletters.

Our mailing address is:
Cable News Network, LP, LLLP. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
One CNN Center
Atlanta, GA 30303

Add us to your address book


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences